Why does La Crosse not have a memorial honoring Vietnam Veterans?
A Junior at Holmen High School in Holmen, WI, Jordan Briskey wondered and as a result, started this memorial project. In May of 2016, Jordan discovered La Crosse did not have a memorial for our Vietnam Veterans. This bothered him and he began doing some research. After contacting the La Crosse City Park and Recreation Department, Jordan learned they were developing Veterans Freedom Park and were interested in his idea.
Jordan did extensive research about the Vietnam War. He met with the developer of The Highground Memorial in Neillsville, WI, After research and meetings, the memorial began to take shape. Mike Martino of La Crosse created the drawing from the information Jordan had compiled.
The WI Vietnam War Memorial will include:
- Life size statues of soldiers from the Vietnam War
- Names of the 1239 military personnel KIA (killed in action) will be engraved on the half circle wall
- Pictures representing scenes of the war gathered from the soldiers Jordan interviewed will be etched on the back of the main stone
- Bronze stars representing each branch of the military will be located on the octagon pedestal below the battlefield memorial
- The memorial is designed to allow specific stories and emotions from inspired actual Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans to be shared
How can you help?
The WI Vietnam War Memorial will be built at Veterans Freedom Park in La Crosse in 2020. The memorial will honor and remember our soldiers and families that sacrificed their lives for the freedom we enjoy today. In order for this memorial to become a reality, $400,000 must be raised. You can help by donating. Every dollar helps us reach this goal and honor our Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans as they so deserve.
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Inc. Fund has a non profit 501(C)(3) account set up with the Holmen Area Foundation to provide exempt services.